Friday, October 26, 2007

Diary of a Lady - 7


Fickle

Pronunciation: \fi-kəl\

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English fikel deceitful, inconstant, from Old English ficol deceitful; akin to Old English befician to deceive, and probably to Old English fāh hostile — more at foe

Meaning: marked by lack of steadfastness, constancy, or stability; given to erratic changeableness

She's been judged. Step right up ladies and gentleman, here comes the fickle one. She'll change her tune tomorrow, but that's another day, isn't it? For now, she's tired, restless and sore all over, like she's been tackled by a football team. (Sigh, if only).

She bruises easily, I should know. I'm forced to comfort her, to give her the strength to tackle an unwanted day, to watch out for her, to allay her fears, to calm her mind and discard her inadequacies. I'm there to hold her hand when she visits the dentist, to keep her company when she's feeling alone. I do not judge her, I only protect her. It is my purpose. At least I have one, she has none.

You've read her diary – is she fickle or selfish? Is she inconsistent or is she simply riding the waves? She's spellcheck -- always looking for the ultimate high, but too much of a coward to jump in the absence of a safety net. I'm just her alter ego protecting her from shattering into a million pieces.

No comments: