Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Diary of a Lady - 6

Mirrors show us an illusion, the mind's perception of oneself. Whenever the stepmother looked into the mirror she saw herself as the most beautiful woman in the world. When the orphaned wizard peered into the shining façade he saw his family. When I look into the mirror my mind directs my thoughts. I see an angel and a whore, an innocent face with evil intentions. I see the bones and the fat. But I do not see what I want most out of this life. Why can't my mirror show me that.

I once smashed a mirror, just to see my face shatter into a thousand pieces.

Today the mirror showed me my first grey hair. And as the morning sun filtered into my bedroom through my orange curtains, the grey hair gleamed elusively before disappearing. I cannot find it now no matter how hard I look for it.

Mirror, mirror on the wall
Who's the smartest of them all?
Mirror, mirror on the wall
Who's the richest of them all?
Mirror, mirror on the wall
Where do I fit among them all?

No comments: